Modals Hakkında Bilgi Ve Modals Kullanımı
1-20. sorularda,cümlede boş bırakılan yerlere uygun düşen sözcük ya da ifadeyi bulunuz.
1. She ….. for Paris as she was planning, because I saw her yesterday.
A) needn’t have left
B) hadn’t been leaving
C) shouldn’t have left
D) didn’t use to leave
E) must not have left
2. We’re lost because you …….. right at the last corner as I told you.
A) should have turned
B) would turn
C) are turning
D) must have turned
E) might have turned
3. I’m so glad that I ………. to the meeting place on time yesterday despite the heavy traffic, or the boss would have been really annoyed.
A) have got
B) was able to get
C) used to get
D) should have got
E) have to get
4. I ……… the same computer program when I worked at a bank, so it…….. easy for met o adjust to this new job.
A) should be using / could be
B) must have used / must be
C) need to use / would be
D) used to use / should be
E) might have used / can be
5. When we went to Japan,we …… anything for ourselves because our Japanese hosts took care of anything.
A) mustn’t have done
B) needn’t have done
C) didn’t need to do
D) couldn’t have done
E) ought not to do
6. The doctor is not certain, but he thinks an allergic reaction to something …… my skin rash and will do some tests.
A) was able to cause
B) should have caused
C) might have caused
D) will have been causing
E) used to cause
7. While there seem to be plenty of unexploited petroleum reserves, some experts worry that there …. enough to carry us through the next century.
A) had beter not be
B) haven’t been
C) didn’t use to be
D) don’t have to be
E) may not be.
8. Sally…… Italian like a native,but since she moved to India, she has forgotten most of it.
A) has been speaking
B) had spoken
C) was supposed to speak
D) used to speak
E) must have spoken
9. Looking back on my life, I can see there are a lot of things I …….. differently.
A) might do
B) must have done
C) ought to have done
D) have had to do
E) should be doing
10. Where have you been ? You ……. here at 2 o’clock, and it’s almost 3.
A) must have been
B) were supposed to be
C) were able to be
D) are going to be
E) have been
11. The old player is now nostalgic for the days when he ….. in one of the world’s biggest teams.
A) might be playing B) was playing C) has been playing D) would be playing E) could be playing
12. Do you think Jeff ……. to join us on our hike? Does he like this sort of activity ?
A) would rather B) was able C) has been able D) had better E) would like
13. By law, people ……. Seat belts in cars, which is good, as it reduces the number of fatal accidents.
A) have to wear B) could be wearing C) would wear D) had been wearing E) should have worn
14. We …….. sure we have plenty of change because no one will change a 100-dollar note for a small fare.
A) could be making B) had made C) had beter make D) used to make E) were making
15. What’s Miss Grant doing here ? According to our schedule, she …… with our suppliers in London at the moment.
A) has negotiated B) was negotiating C) will have negotiated D) should be negotiating E) may negotiate
16. This steak is a little undercooked for my taste. ………. Putting it back under the gril for another five minutes ?
A) why don’t you B) Do you mind if I C) Would you like D) Do you prefer E) Would you mind
17. Our plane ……. İn Cairo hours ago, but we haven’t even taken off from Heathrow yet.
A) was supposed to land B) must have landed C) ought to be landing D) will have landed E) might be landing.
18. Hey, watch where you are going! You ……. me !
A) could have killed B) should have killed C) have killed D) will have killed E) used to kill
19. A person …… a fear of something quite harmless if he …… it with a condition that is threatening.
A) is developing / associated B) may develop / associates C) has developed / would associate D) was developing / had associated E) developed / should associate
20. He …… as carefully as he claimed he was. Why did he bump into the lamp post then ?
A) doesn’t have to drive B) isn’t supposed to drive C) can’t have been driving D) shouldn’t have driven E) won’t have been driving
21-25. sorularda, verilen cümleyi uygun şekilde tamamlayan ifadeyi bulunuz.
21. Though the insurance is expensive, …… .
A) I wouldn’t waste my hard-earned money on it B) you’d be beter of putting money in a bank C) so everything has gone up in price recently D) it might save you a lot more than it really should E) it stil costs a lot of more than it really should
22. …… , eating lots of sugar needn’t always be harmful to your teeth .
A) Providing you brush them regularly B) As certain sweets are sometimes irresistable C) Although only a small amount is found in vegetables D) When you visited the dentist for a check-up E) Because of the bacteria it causes
23. It is more important to realise that you must spend many years studying hard …… .
A) so it’s better tol ive in the country where the language is spoken B) if you wish to really master a second language C) yet you were still able to learn both languages well D) if only you had studied harder when you had the chance E) since you can speak the language just like a native
24. ……. because the whole site is very badly labelled.
A) Visitors are allowed accessto every part of the ancient city B) The ruins hadn’t met our expectations. C) The council must have listened to the tourists’ complaints D) You should purchase a guide book before visiting that monument. E) There was no one we could as for further information
25. ……, whereas drinking hot milk can help you to sleep.
A) You shouldn’t drive when you’re tired B) Tea and coffee contain caffeine C) Milk should be kept cool in the fridge D) you had getting trouble to sleep E) Coffee may keep you awake at night
26-29. sorularda, verilen cümleye anlamca en yakın olan cümleyi bulunuz.
26. One of them must be being dishonest as their stories about the accident contradict each other.
A) They can’t both be telling the truth since they’re giving opposing accounts about the accident. B) Neither of them is likely to give us an accurate account about what happened in the crash. C) If they are giving contradicting stories about the accident, then bot hare lying. D) Since they can’t seem to agree on a story, they’ve definitely been lying about the crash. E) They’re arguing about what happened in the crash , but apparently, neither story is true.
27. You can’t have written this paper yourself because the English is perfect.
A) You didn’t write the paper in perfect English because you are not able to. B) It is not possible for this paper to be your own work because you are unable to write such flawless English. C) The English in this paper is so good that I know you must have worked hard on it. D) You must not have worked very hard on this paper, or the English would have been perfect. E) No one would have thought that you were capable of writing such good English.
28. It’s possible that the company lost the order because of the salesman’s rudeness.
A) The salesman’s lack of politeness may have caused the company’s loss of the order. B) The salesman was so rude that the company failed to get the order. C) Maybe the salesman became rude when he realised that the company lost the order. D) The company must have lost the order because the salesman was so rude. E) If the salesman hadn’t been rude, the company wouldn’t have lost the order.
29. It was unnecessary for you to come to the office in person.
A) You don’t necessarily have to come to the office.
B) Nobody must ever bring personal friends to the Office.
C) The work necessiated every person in the Office to come punctually.
D) You needn’t have come to the office yourself
E) You should not confide your personal problems to anyone in the office.
30-32. sorularda, verilen İngilizce cümleye anlamca en yakın Türkçe cümleyi bulunuz.
30. Some educationalists argue that a child should start learning a foreign language at primary school.
A) Bazı eğitimciler, yabancı dil eğitiminin ilkokulda başlaması gerektiği görüşüne karşı çıkmaktadırlar.
B) Çocuğun ilkokulda yabancı dil öğrenmesinin gerekip gerekmediği konusu bazı eğitimciler arasında tartışmalara neden olmaktadır.
C) Bazı eğitimciler , çocuğun yabancı dil öğrenmeye ilkokulda başlaması gerektiğini ileri sürmektedirler.
D) Bazı ilkokullarda yabancı dil eğitimine başlanması, eğitimciler arasında tartışılmaktadır.
E) Çocuğun yabancı dil öğrenmeye ilkokulda başlaması gerektiğini savunan pek çok eğitimci vardır.
31. Naturally, a person would prefer to make friends with people who accept him as he is.
A) İnsanın kendine yakın bulduğu kişilerle arkadaşlık etmek istemesi çok doğaldır. B) Doğal olan, insanın arkadaşlarını olduğu gibi kabul etmesidir. C) Doğal olarak kişi, kendini olduğu gibi kabul eden insanlarla arkadaşlık etmeyi tercih eder. D) Doğal olarak gelişen arkadaşlıklar kişi için çok daha değerlidir. E) İnsanın kendini olduğu gibi kabul ettiremediği kişilerle arkadaşlık etmesi doğal değildir.
32. People with recurrent ear infections should take certain measures while having bath or swimming.
A) Sık sık enfeksiyona yakalanmamak için yıkanırken ya da yüzerken bazı tedbirler alınmalıdır. B) Kişi sık sık kulak enfeksiyonu geçiriyorsa, yıkanırken ve yüzerken bazı tedbirler almalıdır. C) Kulak enfeksiyonuna sık yakalanan kişiler, mutlaka önlem olarak yıkanmalı ya da yüzmelidirler. D) Sık kulak enfeksiyonu geçiren kişiler, yıkanırken ya da yüzerken bazı tedbirler almalıdırlar. E) Sık kulak enfeksiyonu geçirmek, kişileri yıkanırken ya da yüzerken bazı önlemler almaya zorlar.
33-35. sorularda, verilen Türkçe cümleye anlamca en yakın İngilizce cümleyi bulunuz.
33. Şeker hastalığı olan insanların yaklaşık yüzde ellisi için tek başına diyet, hastalığı kontrol altına alamamaktadır.
A) Almost half of the people who suffer from diabetes can not control it by diet alone. B) Fifty percent of people cannot be successfully treated for diabetes without the use of drugs. C) For people with diabetes, diet alone can only control the disease by approximately fifty percent. D) Roughly fifty percent of people with diabetes can keep it under control by regulating their diet. E) For approximately fifty percent of the people with diabetes, diet alone cannot keep the disease under control.
34. Her karşılaşmamızda kilomla ilgili olarak bana takılmamanı rica ederdim.
A) I’d prefer it if you didn’t mention my weight problem every time you see me. B) I’d rather you didn’t tease me about my weight every time we meet. C) Every time we meet, you teae me about my weight,which annoys me. D) Would you mind not teasing me about my weight whenever we meet ? E) I would rather not listen to your jokes about my weight every time you see me.
35. Su kayağında, kayakçının ayakta kalabilmesi için teknenin hızı saatte 15 mil olmalıdır.
A) A water-skier can stay up on his skis only if the boat’s speed remains over 15 miles per hour. B) In water-skiing, the boat must reach speeds of over 15 miles per hour in order for the skier to get up on his skis. C) In water-skiing, if the boat’s speed drops below 15 miles per hour, the skier won’t be able to stay up. D) In water skiing, the boat’s speed must be at least 15 miles per hour in order for the skier to stay up. E) In water-skiing, the boat that pulls the skier up usually travels at a minimum of 15 miles per hour.